No doubt – 2010 is a year for mobile usage growth. Apple’s iPhone, Google’s Android continue to shine and Apple’s iPad is instant success. Twitter, Facebook mobile usage surged and location based check-in services also on the raise. Foursquare has 5 million users up from 200,000 users in 2009. Smart phone with data plan become very common and it is the driving force behind this massive growth.
According to the industry group MobileFuture, here are the highlights of 2010 mobile usage:
Massive increase in apps downloaded
- FIVE BILLION apps downloaded — up from 300 million in 2009
Whopping expansion of location-based services
- FIVE MILLION Foursquare users — up from 200,000 users in 2009
Surge in mobile social media platforms
- 347 PERCENT growth in Twitter mobile usage
- 200 MILLION mobile Facebook Users
- 100 MILLION YouTube videos played on mobile devices everyday
Ongoing explosion in data traffic
- 3,000 PERCENT growth in one carrier’s data traffic since 2008
- 3,339: average number of texts sent per month by US teens.
Unprecedented competition and choice
- 96 PERCENT of mobile users can choose from 3 or more providers
- 92 PERCENT of mobile users are satisfied with their provider
- 4 CENTS: average voice rate per minute in the US
- 77 MILLION: number of smartphones shipped in the fall of 2010.
Below is the video outlining “Mobile Year in Review 2010 “: